Division 1 & 2 west

Aberystwyth 28 Whitland 20

There was little in this entertaining game with just ten minutes to go with the scores locked on 20-20 but a late try from centre Dylan Evans changed it all and the Ceredigion men hung on for a dramatic win.

The teams came into the game with an abundance of confidence off the back of some impressive victories and they served up a cracker of a game and with contrasting styles of play. Whitland were at their most effective with their strong drives and carries down the middle whilst Aber sensed that they could pose more of a threat by moving the ball wide and using their support runners.

It was the hosts who scored first when from a scrum on halfway Ian Ellis came off his wing and burst through the defensive line and moved the ball on for left winger Carwyn Evans to cut back inside to score a fine try by the posts. Steff Rees converted easily to lead 7-0. Whitland then lost their open-side flanker Ryan Morgan to a yellow card for a no-arms tackle and Aber took full advantage when the ball was spun out wide to Tom Kenko Evans who with a skilful take and give put Steff Rees over in the corner to put his team 12 -0 up.

Whitland bounced back and dominated possession and scored two converted tries to take the lead at 12–14. The first try was scored by prop Aaron Mayne and converted by influential outside-half Setaro and the second created by a Setaro chip kick collected  by centre Scott Chandler who ran strongly to score under the posts and again Setaro converted.

Whitland continued to attack and the Aber defence did very well to contain a powerful visiting drive, and managed to turn the ball over and move the ball quickly to Mathew Hughes who made a lovely break but unfortunately his pass went to ground with the try line begging. Aber’s scrummage was beginning to get on top and when Whitland conceded a penalty from a scrum up stepped Steff Rees to take the Plascrug men into a narrow half-time lead at 15–14.

The second half continued in much the same vein and Aber scored next when flanker Bryn Shepherd, who had a fine game, picked up a loose ball and fed Mathew Hughes who sped over wide out. Whitland came back strongly and forced Aber back on the defensive and during this period of dominance Setaro kicked two penalties to level the score at 20 points each.

This set up an exciting finale with the game delicately poised but with Aberystwyth in the ascendency their pressure eventually paid off when centre Evans burrowed over to score a bonus point try wide out with under ten minutes to go.

Both teams went hard to win the game but it was the home side who had the final say when flanker Tom Kenco Evans kicked a superb drop goal from long range to cap an exciting victory.

There was no joy for Crymych and Fishguard with both suffering defeat.

The Preselimen who were enjoying a rich vein of form in division one west were very much second best on the day against Dunvant, a side similarly placed in the league table and they lost out by 31-12. Flanker Sion Collela and centre Gethin Gibby crossed for tries with Ifan Phillips adding a conversion.

It was a similar story for division two outfit Fishguard who were beaten 14-0 by Carmarthen Athletic.

Leave a Reply