J.Emrys Morgan Cup quarter final

Dewi Stars 1 Cardigan Town 2

Cardigan Town had to survive as few late scares before they sneaked through into the semi final of the J.Emrys Morgan Cup at the expense of a very determined Dewi Stars side.

The two time winners who last lifted this prestigious trophy in season 2014-15 had to wait until the 85th minute before taking the lead, with this tense game in the balance all through, but the Magpies managed to hang on, despite the Stars hitting the woodwork on two occasions in the dying minutes.

This twice postponed quarter final cup tie finally got underway, but it was the snow that greeted both teams on this occasion and not heavy rain. Dewi Stars, who have struggled on their return to the first division after losing so many players to university, produced an excellent performance against a talented Magpies team in a game that was a credit to the competition despite the very testing conditions.

Llion Williams a constant danger for the Stars

As expected, the visitors put the Stars under a great deal of pressure early on as they struggled to cope with the pace of the Magpies front three of Llion Williams, Liam Doherty and Jack Blackford.

The Stars though soon settled, and boosted by the return of four of their student contingent, they showed that they can cope far better in this standard when they have a more experienced squad available. The hosts who played with great maturity took the lead on the half hour when Siencyn Jones drilled in a low corner at pace for David Beck to divert the ball into the corner passed the stranded Iestyn Evans in goal.

Cardigan kept the ball effectively after the break but the Llanddewi Brefi outfit who had ten youth players in their match day squad began to stretch Town on the break as they went in search of a second goal but defensive strongmen in the shape of John Lumb and Ryan Parry were up to the task and managed to keep the dangerous Stars attackers at bay.

Playing up the famous Llanddewi slope, Cardigan started creating better chances in the second half as the ball held up for them and Liam Doherty who had generally been kept quiet by the outstanding Thomas brothers of Ifan and Gethin, playing together as a centre back pairing for the first time, found himself free for once as an attempted clearance diverted into his path after good work by Llion Williams, and he coolly slotted home the equaliser.

Iestyn Edwards in goal for the Stars covered himself in glory as Cardigan pushed hard for the winner, but it didn’t come until five minutes from the end, when Doherty again showed his striking instincts following a defensive slip to net what proved to be the winner.

But the Stars weren’t finished as Cardigan survived a last minute scare when Rhodri Morgan struck the crossbar and David Beck hit the post from the rebound bit it was the Cardi‚Äôs who went through to join northern neighbours Tregaron in the last four.

The reaming quarter finals between Felinfach and Newcastle Emlyn and Guilsfield Res v Brecon Corries were called off due to waterlogged pitches.

In the opening round of the South Cards Cup, the match between Bargod Rangers and Ffostrasol Reserves was the only one that survived the wet weather with Rangers going through comfortably thanks to a couple of goals apiece from Jack Fisher and Chester Powell and a single from Tom Rogers.

Leave a Reply