Ceredigion Football

Cwpan Goffa Dai Dynamo:

Cardigan Town bounced back following successive defeats to send Tregaron crashing out of the Cwpan Dai Dynamo.

The Magpies who had been edged out by Crannog in both league and cup in recent weeks travelled with a few regulars missing to take on a Turfs outfit that have been outstanding this term and who look odds on to take the Aber & District Division One championship. Cardigan though were much better than of late and were well deserved winners thanks to some impressive performances, especially from their younger players in the form of Llion Williams, Liam Doherty and sixteen year old midfielder Jack Everton.

However it was the home team who opened the scoring when Dylan Davies netted five minutes before the break with both teams having enjoyed some promising openings in the very difficult windy conditions.

Llion Williams

The Magpies started more positively after the interval and with skipper James Evans becoming more influential in midfield an equaliser arrived when Evans threaded the ball through to Matt Leonard and he drilled home a sweet shot with his left foot. It was all Cardigan after this with the visitors keeping the ball effectively, despite the deteriorating conditions, and they took the lead when a long clearance from stand in keeper Iestyn Evans caught the Turfs defence napping and Liam Doherty was on hand to tuck the ball into the net. Tregaron made a few changes and this energised them and they were denied a goal when Evans pulled off a fine save. Cardigan eventually cleared the danger and from a breakaway Llion Williams ran through to claim the crucial third goal for his team.

The Turfs finished strongly and with three minutes to go Carwyn Earey made it 3-2 to set up a nervy ending but Cardigan managed to hold out for the victory they just about deserved.

Crannog continued with their impressive run of form with a win against Aberporth although they left it very late before they clinched their passage through. The wind was a huge factor at a ground well known for its difficult blustery conditions and the airmen had first use of the elements and put the hosts under pressure with keeper Tom James kept very busy.

The visitors, who played very well throughout, made the breakthrough on thirty minutes when a shot was deflected into the net off the leg of defender Gary Davies and they then doubled their lead from the penalty spot. Crannog replied just after half time when defender Mike Glover netted with a header and it was all Crannog at this stage with Aberporth keeper Ryan Banks peppered with shots and he pulled off a series of fine saves. With just a few minutes to go and Aberporth hanging on Marc Davies grabbed an equaliser to take the game into extra time. Late goals from Robbie Evans and an own goal helped steer Crannog across the finish line.

It took a penalty shoot out to separate Lampeter and Newcastle Emlyn following a hard fought contest at the north road ground with Town keeper Heulyn Jones the hero of the hour for the hosts as he saved the final reds penalty to see his team through 4-3. Custodian Jones enjoyed a superb game throughout and he denied the visitors on several occasions.

On target from the spot for Lampeter were Terry Witts, Marc Evans, Rhys Bowden and Scott Davies.

St Dogmaels are also in the hat for the draw for the next round as they beat Ffostrasol 4-2 although they were forced to come from behind after Ffostrasol had taken a 2-1 lead. Adam Williams opened the scoring for the Saints with a curling free kick before the Wanderers hit back with goals from Dafydd Phillips and Caleb ReesĀ  A goal from Louis Harding just before the break levelled matters and further scores from Williams and Josh Mellor saw the hosts through but it was a rare old battle in difficult conditions at the School Field.

Leave a Reply