Division 1 west

Felinfoel 8 Newcastle Emlyn 13

Newcastle Emlyn claimed the honours in the match of the day in division one west after they beat

reigning champions Felinfoel in a match played in atrocious conditions.

The character and determination of the visitors was well and truly tested as they played the

whole of the second half with fourteen players after prop Emrys Davies was shown a red card for

a high tackle.Both sides are known for their attacking rugby and it was a great shame for the large crowd that

the heavy rain which fell throughout the match had such an influence on the match. Scoring

chances were few and far between as defences dominated and it was to Emlyn’s credit that it

took Felinfoel until the last minute before they managed to cross the visitors line.

At the start of the second half Felinfoel brought on powerful prop Gareth Havard and his

scrummaging posed huge problems for their opponents but the Emlyn defence held firm.

All the initial pressure at the start of the game came from the home side as they mounted wave

after wave of attacks but could find no way through.

Emlyn on the other hand capitalised on Felinfoel’s mistakes and two penalties from full back

Shaun Leonard gave them an early lead which lasted until the thirty eighth minute when

‘Foel outside half Aled Roberts dropped a smart goal.From the restart the red and whites came

straight back at the home side and a move down the left wing almost led to a try but

Emrys Davies was unable to hold on to a try scoring pass.

The second half belonged to Emlyn as the home side opted to run the ball at the visitors instead

of kicking for position.


inspirational skipper

Inspirationally led by their outstanding captain Alex Williams, they repulsed Felinfoel attacks and with the cultured boot of full back Shaun Leonard behind the solid defensive wall the hosts could find no way through.

When hard working scrum half Mike Jones was replaced by Dafydd Evans the sub proved to be a real livewire, continually pressurising his opposite number and fly hacking any loose ball forward. With time running out he marshalled his forwards superbly as two powerful carries by Rheon James and Andrew Owens took play within five metres of the home line. The home side defended desperately but Emlyn’s recycling was superb and they gradually inched towards the home line. A powerful surge by Elliot Rees saw him off load to winger Llyr Freeman who was held up just short of the line. From the ruck Evans darted over with three players hanging desperately on to him for a try which Leonard coolly converted.

With time running out Felinfoel summoned some energy for one last effort to try and get a losing bonus point. They declined a long range penalty kick at goal, went for touch, repelled by Emlyn who fly hacked the ball downfield. Fielded by their outside half he went blind and put replacement winger Eray Wilson over in the corner. Leonard kicked the restart deep into the Felinfoel twenty two and the home side with only a minute’s play left were unable to get out of their twenty two.

An excellent result for the red and whites who take a break from League action next week when they travel to play Brynamman in the third round of the WRU Plate.




Leave a Reply