Costcutter League and cup round up.

Division One

Lampeter Town moved to within two points of league leaders St Dogmaels following a hard fought victory over Llanboidy. The North Road side who have played three more games than the Saints were forced to come from a goal down after getting caught ball watching early on when Frazer Wyatt nipped in to score with a super strike.

Jason Jones

With the home side trailing they pushed on looking for an equaliser but Llanboidy kept them out with brilliant saves from Llanboidy man of the match Bleddyn Williams and last ditch tackles from Steffan Williams and Chris Court and off the line clearances by defender Dafydd Vaughan.However front runner Jason Jones levelled matters just before the break with a superb volley and it was one-way traffic after the break as the hosts dominated. Gethin Hunter added a second on the hour and captain and man of the match Marc Evans scored a well worked goal which he finished in style with his head.

An under strength Felinfach side produced one of their best performances for some time to put one over their local rivals Aberaeron Reserves.

It was Aeron though who were out of the blocks first and they created a couple of half chances, but nothing to trouble Felin keeper Tomos James. The scoring was eventually opened on the half-hour when winger Huw Davies picked up the ball 25-yards out and rifled his shot into the top corner at the near post. This settled the milkmen down and they started to look dangerous with the front-men linking up well.

Felinfach controlled the game in the second half and stopped any momentum that Aberaeron tried to build up, with none better than Owain Evans who enjoyed a fine game in midfield, up against black and ambers first team player Dan James.

With around 20 minutes to go Aberaeron had a golden opportunity to pull a goal back but 19 year old keeper James pulled off a fine save with his feet from close range to deny Aeron and the teenage custodian was outstanding throughout. miss eventually proved to be costly as striker, Kieron Boyes scored a fantastic goal minutes later when he lobbed the keeper from around 30 yards with a delightful chip to put his team two up.

Felinfach sat in deep after the second goal, staying very organised and compact and always looked likely to grab another on the counterattack, with Aeron throwing men forward. This goal eventually came after Boyes grabbed his second of the game in the last few minutes after being sent through on goal and he rounded the keeper to cap off an impressive performance by the Milkmen to ease their relegation fears.

Newcastle Emlyn were also missing several regular players but they managed to overcome the challenge of visitors Ffostrasol by 3-2 but it was a nail biting affair.

First half goals from Huw Jones and Cory Davies set the reds on their way but had the Wanderers not failed with an earlier penalty attempt the final result could well have been much different. Emlyn keeper Barry Edwards saved the Gethin Davies spot kick to deny Ffostrasol but they eventually found the net after the break with goals from Iolo Thomas and Dafydd Phillips to set up an exciting finale.

The game was delicately poised going into the final few minutes but it was the hosts who struck first when Sam Skinner was presented with a simple opportunity following a mix up in defence and he fired home to bag the three points.
Doherty building services

Cardigan Town pulled away from the relegation zone following a 5-1 success over fellow strugglers Bargod Rangers at Parc Puw. Rangers are now well adrift at the bottom of the table and their chances of avoiding the drop took a huge blow when talented striker Jake Kelly left to join Haverfordwest County AFC in the Welsh League following a successful trial.

Owen Williams led the way for the Magpies with a hat trick and there were two goals for fellow front runner Ewan Jones.

The top of the table match between St Dogmaels and Crannog was called off as there was no referee available. Experienced official Wyn Roberts was due to take charge but he was injured on the morning of the match and there was no replacement available to take over at the School Field.

The Saints though remain firmly in the box seat with points and games in hand and they do not look like relinquishing their lead anytime soon.

In Division two the matches between Ffostrasol Reserves and St Dogmaels Reserves and New Quay and Newcastle Emlyn Reserves were postponed.

Division Three

Crannog were crowned champions of division three after they accounted for Llanboidy Reserves by 4-0. Goals from Dan Robinson, Dylan Jones, Ben May and Michael Jamieson completed a successful afternoon for the Llangrannog men. There was also a comfortable win for Lampeter Reserves who defeated Felinfach Reserves by 6-2.

League Cup Quarter Final

Llandysul will go head to head with St Dogmaels in the semi final of the Ceredigion League Cup after they accounted for second division side Maesglas following a tricky encounter.

The Blues who first lifted this trophy in season 1981-2 following a 1-0 win over the Swallows, defied their lowly league status and put the visitors under a great deal of pressure and former Maesglas keeper Nathan Jones pulled off some excellent saves.

The visitors took an early lead with goals from Chris Harris and Mathew Newbould but the hosts who were disappointed to be trailing at the break, upped the tempo after the interval and went at their opponents and with a bit of luck in front of goal may well have upset the odds. However the result was made safe when the visitors struck from a counter attack ten minutes from time and Newbold tapped home from close range to make it 3-0 to seal a win they deserved overall. Maesglas though kept battling away and claimed a late consolation goal when new recruit Tommy Furbear fired home to make it 3-1.

Leave a Reply