Costcutter League round up.

A winner from Town striker Ewan Jones was all that separated the sides at the King George on Saturday but if it had not been for the sportsmanship of Dewi Stars linesman Eurig Pugh the game would have ended at 0-0.

Pugh who was a tough as teak midfielder with the Stars back in the eighties and nineties and who is a stalwart off the pitch at Llanddewi Brefi held his flag up high after referee Peter Wilson had ruled that a goal bound shot by Jones had not crossed the line despite the protestations of the Cardigan team. Pugh though signalled that the ball had in fact gone over the whitewash and after a consultation with Wilson the Magpies were a goal ahead.

This good old fashioned piece of honesty was appreciated by many at the ground and very refreshing in an age when this sort of sportsmanship is sadly very rare. Cardigan manager Ceri Adams Lewis saluted this decision and said:” It was great sportsmanship by the away team linesman for giving the goal as the ball hit the inner wheel of the goal and bounced out and the ref was unsighted.

“I think we deserved the win but it was a far tougher game than we expected and we didn’t create many clear cut chances but fair play to the Stars as they made us work very hard.”

Goal scoring chances were indeed very scarce in the difficult wet and slippery conditions but to their credit both teams attempted to knock the ball about and the Stars could have had something out of this game with a little more composure. Their young side held together by veteran midfielder Andrew ‘Pants’ Jones played some impressive football at times with Jones rolling back the years and doing the simple things very well and showing the kids from both teams how to keep hold of the ball.

The first real opportunity came the way of one of the Magpies teenagers in Llion Williams and his well timed shot hit the woodwork but the hosts who were unable to string enough passes together and who out of character gave the ball away far too often created very little. Williams forced Stars keeper Rhodri Edwards into making a superb save midway through the second half but the Stars came back with Ifan Thomas impressing in midfield along with Oscar Evans and Rupert Geddes but they also struggled to hold the ball up for long enough and Town centre half Ben Davies and colleague Neil Evans managed to clean up most of the afternoon.

A goal eventually arrived with about fifteen minutes to go when from a scramble on the edge of the box Jones managed to hook the ball towards goal as he was falling to the ground and despite the best efforts of keeper Edwards the ball eventually crossed the line.

At the other end Geddes forced Town keeper Steff Marsden into making a fine save and just before the end Jones almost made it 2-0 when his fine shot came off the inside of the post but Cardigan came through for the three points they deserved.

League leaders Lampeter Town pulled further away at the top as their nearest rivals St Dogmaels and Newcastle Emlyn were left kicking their heels as their game was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

Jason Jones

Town were well worth their 4-1 success at Cae Sgwar against an Aberaeron Reserves outfit strengthened by the addition of a few first teamers. The visitors took an early lead when Robert Slawkowski fired home from the edge of box and he and his teammates should have been out of sight by the interval as they enjoyed a fistful of chances but they could not make them pay. Slawkowski almost made it two nil after the break when he made a powerful run down the right wing and blasted his shot past the keeper only to see his shot stop in a puddle on the goal line. However ten minutes later Szymon Konwiak made it 2-0 with a powerful header from a corner and front runner Jason Jones killed the game off when he latched on to a great through ball from left winger Scott Davies to score.

Jones made it 4-0 soon after when he rounded the Aberaeron keeper and slotted the ball home, before the seagulls hit back with a consolation goal from the penalty spot. champions Llandysul gained sweet revenge for a defeat earlier in the season by Felinfach but they had to work extremely hard for this victory. Carwyn Morgan who was celebrating his eighteenth birthday put the Swallows ahead in the opening half and Chris Harries doubled the lead on the hour. The milkmen rallied and hit back from the penalty spot and then with Llandysul reduced to ten men took full advantage and squared matters. Felinfach should have gone ahead soon afterwards but a fantastic save by Jon Durbridge saved the day. Llandysul pushed hard but they were thwarted by some great saves from the visiting keeper but a winner finally arrived when Josh Baker tapped the ball home from close range with the last play of the game.

In the League Cup an extra time winner from Jae Shae earned Bargod Rangers a home quarter final tie against fierce rivals Newcastle Emlyn. This entertaining affair was locked at 3-3 after normal time and then all square at 4-4 in the second half of extra time before Shae popped up to claim the ninth goal of a topsy turvy match.

What was deemed as the match of the day in division one turned into a damp squib as it was postponed by referee Alun Jenkins of Carmarthen.

mud bath before kick off

The eagerly awaited contest between St Dogmaels and Newcastle Emlyn which was set to draw a decent crowd was called off by the official in charge with both teams out on the pitch. The heavy overnight rains should have seen this match cancelled early in the day as the pitch was never really playable and it would have been quite farcical to have even attempted to start. Both teams have an abundance of talented footballers and to play would not have suited either side.

Experienced referee Jenkins thankfully took the sensible course of action and called the game off.

Leave a Reply