Spar Mid Wales League Division 1

Bow Street 14 Montgomery 0

The Cae Piod faithful experienced an extraordinary afternoon as the home team scored their highest ever number of goals in one game in their ten seasons of competing in the Spar Mid Wales league. Writes Wyn Lewis

At half time, there was no real indication of the goal deluge that would follow as the score was only 2-0. Indeed, the first half had been a struggle at times for the home side. They managed to soak up all the threats from Montgomery  with the new look defensive partnership of Garmon Nutting and Ian Evans looking assured.

Despite having a lot of possession, it took Bow Street until the 25th minute for Andrew Gittings to break the deadlock with a point blank header. Dylan James added the second 15 minutes later with a superbly taken free kick.

The other notable incident in the first was an injury to Mathew Evans which meant he was replaced by Steffan Richards.

The game as a contest  was effectively over within five minutes after half time. First, substitute Richards scored his first, and 16 year old Tom Evans rounded the keeper to finish off an excellent move. Following that, goals came at regular intervals, and it was with great relief to Montgomery Town when the referee blew the final whistle.

The goal scorers were Steffan Richards with four after coming on as a substitute, Tom Williams and Andrew Gittings who both bagged a hat trick, Llion Jenkins with two and Dylan James and Tom Evans.

Bow Street chairman, Wyn Lewis said, ‘Congratulations to our lads on this record breaking achievement. It was remarkable how the second half turned out. You have to have great sympathy with Montgomery Town, and we wish them all the best for the rest of the season.’

Pics by Beverley Hemmings.

Aberaeron 1 Llanrhaeadr 1

Aberaeron remain unbeaten this year but they were forced to pull out all the stops late on in this game to ensure a share of the spoils.

On a very windy day and on a very bumpy pitch it was very difficult for both sides but Aberaeron began strongly and immediately put the visitors under pressure and managed to score after only four minutes when Dan James forced the ball home from close range.

The tricky conditions hampered both teams and it was a scrappy first half with Aberaeron in the ascendancy and Llanrhaeadr defending purposefully but not creating many chances.

The second half saw a role reversal with Llanrhaeadr using the aerial ball to put the home defence under extreme pressure at times and seagulls central defenders, Sion Clark and Ryan Jones coped well. However a succession of corners and free-kicks were conceded thus creating more pressure on the home defence and they did well to hold out.

The hosts when breaking out of defence looked dangerous and created a few very good opportunities, but they were unable to convert. The match was tied when from a hugely controversial free kick against Ryan Jones, who had to be taken off with a bleeding head wound, the ball sail over the defence and past the luckless Edwards in goal for the equalizer.

Aberaeron were forced to defend resiliently in the final quarter to see the game out without conceding further and a draw was probably a fair result even though the home players saw it as two points dropped. results in Division 1:

Carno 1 Knighton Town 1

Llandrindod Wells 1 Rhayader Town 3

Llanidloes Town 2 Tywyn/Bryncrug 1

Machynlleth 2 Welshpool 0

Radnor Valley 1 Berriew 1



Leave a Reply